Canada & DUII Diversion

People in the U.S. with pending DUIIs, or with completed DUII Diversions, convictions or arrests, all may face some barriers with Canada travel. To ensure entry, the best thing to do is to get permission ahead of time. The Canadian Embassy calls this permission a “waiver of exclusion.” The process can take a few weeks and often involves a fee, but it’s the safest route. Contact the Canadian Embassy or a Canadian Consulate in the U.S. for more information. Border crossings can be difficult with any criminal record, for entry into any country, so be prepared to explain your arrest, Diversion, or conviction history. The law surrounding international border crossings can change with every administration or with day-to-day politics. Contact the foreign nation’s embassy before you go. And of course, if you are either (a) on a release agreement for pending charges or (b) on probation, you must seek permission of the court before you leave the state or country.

The problems surrounding border crossings are yet another reason why it makes sense to have a good DUII lawyer in your corner. The collateral problems of conviction highlight why it’s often a better idea to fight these charges. Oregon does not permit expungement of DUII convictions or even successful Diversions — leading to headaches for future employment, housing, volunteer work, and travel.